Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring Break... Day Two

No sleeping in today... Honey had me up and at the gym bright and early at 6 AM!!! Last night before we went to bed, I told him to make sure I got up and joined him for his daily workout, since I didn't have my usual hockey lesson at 5:15... an idea I most certainly regretted once I realized how utterly stupid it was, for I am on vacat
ion... but off to the gym I went. 

The rest of the morning was spent packing up winter house decor in hopes that spring might truly be arriving. I even took about an hour nap with my sweet pup Terra (she's the three-legged Chocolate Doberman). Tybee (the Golden Retriever), our other sweet girl, was sleeping on the tile floor in the basement... her favorite spot in the whole house. 

After running some errands, it was time for my lesson. Thanks to QweenB for sharing her spot with me this afternoon, so I didn't have to wake-up at 4 AM. The lesson was brutal, as always seems to be the case when we are working on shooting. I've never been taught how to properly shoot until Coach Chin Beaver. He's been very patient with me as I learn which foot goes where, and how the puck is to be placed, etc... And I know that one day I will get it... it's just taking too damn long. The worst part of the lesson was when Coach Chin Beaver told me I was out of shape. My right quad was killing, and that was his response as to why. I don't think I am THAT out of shape... I go to the gym pretty regularly, do Yoga 2-3 times a week, skate 3-4 times a week... it's not like I don't do anything, BUT apparently it isn't enough. I've only been asking him EVERY week for the past month when he's doing his Boot Camp Clinic... ummmmmmm I beginning to wonder if it's not because he's out of shape that we haven't seen the flyers for this. 


Anyway, I digress... the best part of my day happened this evening. In December I took the risk and had LASIK done. I chose the 20/20 Institute because they are the official LASIK provider for the Avs. I figure if they are good enough for professional players, they would be good enough for me. The procedure went incredibly well and to date I have 20/15 vision. It's awesome!!! Well, tonight was their annual alumni event with the Colorado Avalanche. Honey and I went to the Pepsi Center to hang out with some Avs players and eat good food. 

In order to meet with a player, you had to have this special ticket and when your group was called, you could go talk to the player, get your picture taken, get autographs, etc... We had Red Group 2 tickets. When we arrived, my most favorite player on the Avs, Paul Stastny was signing autographs. I was really excited until I realized they were not going to callour group for pictures until another player had shown up. Sure enough, around 7:00 Paulie was being replaced by Lappy and our group hadn't been called yet. For the past hour, I had been trying to sneak shots of Paul while others got their things signed. I got a couple of OK shots, but not the one I really wanted. 

As he started to leave, I noticed he would have 
to walk right by our table, so I gave Honey the camera and told him to be ready. Sure enough, I blocked Stastny's way and asked if I could "steal" a picture with him. He put his arm around me and said,"Sure". Honey took the shot, and wha-la... to the left is what came out... Yes, that is me, and the headless man in the argyle sweater is Avs Super Star, Paul Stastny. I felt bad for Honey, because he he knew he had let me down, but it really wasn't that big of a deal. It is much more fun making fun of what he did than to actually have a picture of me and Stastny. I know I will get my chance again, someday. 

When our group was finally called, we got in line to see Lappy... another of my favs on the Avs. The reason I love Lappy so much is 
because he never backs down from a fight, he's always trying to get under someone's skin, and occasionally can give the refs an hear full... sound like anyone else you know??? I actually asked him how I could get away with saying something to the ref without being thrown in the box, and he said, "I've been around a long time. They expect it from me." Oh, so in a few years I'll be free to say what I wish about the refs??? That will be a glorious day!!! But until then, I will continue to keep my mouth shut on the bench and share all the things I wish I could say with those care afterwards at the bar. 

Day Two of Spring Break '08 was one I won't soon forget... and neither will Honey, for it will be a LONG time until I let him live his picture taking mistake down. 

1 comment:

GETkristiLOVE said...

That pic of you and Stastny is hilarious! But if I were stranded on a desert island with one of the Avs, it would definitely be Lappy. Great entertainment.