Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why I Hate This Time of Year...

There are many reasons why I hate springtime... more specifically the months of April and May...
1. Hockey season is winding down. Even though I play year-round, the real season is winter... summer is for improving and keeping my legs strong.
2. Ski season is ending... even though some of the ski areas may stay open until June, the snow gets too hard and crunchy to really enjoy it. 
3. Bad things always happen this time of year... Over the past 13 years, these are things that have happened in April or May... I was diagnosed with cancer and had a hysterectomy, I was investigated for drinking and doing drugs at work (thankfully, as a result of the investigation, I haven't had a drink in almost 12 years), I went through a very ugly and nasty divorce (which I guess wasn't so bad when looking back... I wouldn't have the great Honey I have now!!!), my dad was put in hospice and died the end of May 1998,  and last year my mother-in-law became very sick from chemo and died in May... 

So why should I surprised that today I got bad news from the vet about my sweet Terra... in September she was diagnosed with bone cancer. We had her left-hind leg amputated in hopes that it would slow down the cancer and we would have a little more time with her. She adjusted well to only having 3 legs and it looked like we had made the right decision. 

On Friday, things started to change... she didn't sleep well Friday night and Saturday morning, Honey brought her back home from their morning walk early. She only made it to the end of the sidewalk and then decided she didn't want to go for a walk after all, and hasn't been on one since. Thankfully, she still has her appetite, but she doesn't have the energy we are used to seeing from her. The vet told Honey today that the cancer has probably spread and things don't look so good for our "Little Lamb". 

So besides spoiling my precious puppy with all the love and chicken she can stand, I will continue to dread the months of April and May. Even though every year I try to approach these months with new resolve, thinking this year will be different, time and time again I have been proven wrong. So only 51 more days to go... I'm keeping my fingers crossed nothing else happens. 

2 comments:

QweenB said...

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry...makes me cry, right here and now. Words cannot express the sadness I feel for you and your sweet, sweet girl. We got Bubba Dawg's diagnosis on May 15. Spring brings darkness to me, too. Too much sadness. Can we just runaway and hide these two months???

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your doggy. I understand about the time of year. For me, October is my usual bad news month.