Friday, May 16, 2008

Why I Don't Have Children...

I didn't go to college 1500 miles away, but the day after I graduated from college I moved 1500 miles away from my family. Growing up in the south, this is unheard of. You just don't stray too far. When I left, my mom told everyone I'd be back in 6 months. I've been gone for 15 years. 

Today, I was on the phone with my mom talking about my half-sister. She's 17 years older than me, and a few months ago, she decided she was going to leave her husband of 30 years. I was a bit shocked by this, but the more I've been thinking about it, the more it makes sense. We've always thought my brother-in-law was nuts for staying with her. She's incredibly mean and self-centered. Everything bad that has happened in her life has always been someone else's fault. She's extremely competitive over material things. Recently, she inherited $250, 000 from her grandparents (unfortunately, not my grandparents), and decided she didn't want her husband to get any of the money, so she left him. 

This may sound pretty crazy, but in my family, this makes perfect sense. I believe there is some whacked out gene floating in the females in my family. My grandmother was one of the craziest people I knew. She was always doing things that shocked the crap out of us. My grandma passed the crazy gene on to my mom... When I was getting married (the first go around), my mom told me a story about how she ran off to NC with some guy one weekend and got married because she saw her boyfriend out with another girl one Friday night. (The girl ended up being the boyfriend's cousin who was in town for a visit, and now my mom is married to that old HS boyfriend, but that's for a different blog)... When she returned to Atlanta on Sunday, they got the marriage annulled. My mom has definitely passed that crazy gene on to me and my two sisters, and my two sisters have passed the gene on to their daughters, who unfortunately have daughters as well, who will probably end up with the craziness themselves. 

So thankfully I have stopped the craziness from my end, by not having any children, and hopefully my great-nieces won't perpetuate it either. There are too many people who get hurt by the crazy things we do. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! My wife just left today.

And I have tagged you. If you have time it might be fun to do when you have some time.

Bug O' Death said...

Mathman: I've been keeping up with you and DCup's story. It is always very sad when a marriage is ending. It took me 7 years before I was ready to do it again. Having kids I think makes it better... you will continue to see one another, and will always be a part of one another's life.

Thanks for the tag... I added my part!

GETkristiLOVE said...

You're giving up your chance to break the cycle?!

You have enough kids anyway... except in the summer.