Thursday, May 15, 2008

What A Week...

It's been a while since I lasted posted... actually, I've tried to write a few things, but none of them came out the way I wanted, so I deleted them, and now I'm going to try again. 

The past week has been, well pretty typical for May. On Thursday, Honey and I had to put our Sweet Terra girl down. She was just in too much pain to let her continue to suffer. It was the hardest decision I've had to make in my life. This incredible woman came to our home so that we wouldn't have to take her somewhere, and she was able to be comfortable on her own bed, with her sister, Tybee, by her side. 

Terra was a talker, she barked all the time, and sometimes it would drive me crazy. We had several disagreements with our neighbor about Terra's barking, even to the extent that I slammed the door in his face once, and now our house is so quiet. Tybee, being the good Golden Retriever that she is, hardly says anything. She's perfectly content just lying around. I never thought I would dislike the quietness so much. 

Over the weekend our hockey team played in a tournament. We play in this tourney every year, and every year we vow to never come back. Unfortunately, we helped host the gawd awful event, so we had to participate. It's called the Front Range Face-Off, but it should be called "Our ringer is better than your ringer"! We entered the lowest division this year, because we had a couple of skaters returning after being gone for awhile. We played really well on Friday night and Saturday morning, then Saturday afternoon, got our butts handed to us by a team from Gunnison. Really it was just a few of the girls, and not the whole team, but it was a loss nonetheless. So on Sunday morning, we played the other host team for a chance at the Championship. The game was at 7:30 AM. This was a problem to begin with, as I don't think in our 5 year history, The Monkeys have ever won a game that was played before 9, but I digress. The other team didn't have a goalie and wanted to hold off play until she arrived. We didn't agree (it was their fault for picking a goalie who shows up drunk, if at all, half the time) and took the ice. Now, it seems like this should be a no brainer, we should win the game, but it's not the same game when there isn't a goalie, although our coach would tell you it is. The team put an ex-college player in net (with no face protection) and the game was on. We scored an early goal, and things looked like they were going to go well, but then their current college player took over and dominated the remainder. Grant it, we weren't playing well, we couldn't control the puck, our shots were missing the net, we weren't/couldn't skate... it was a bad scene. In the end we lost. Looking back I think we didn't really want to win. A win would have meant we played again at 11:30, and I think we were all just tired. I know that I was ready to just go home and spend some time with Honey, and had had enough of the ridiculousness of the tourney organizer. 

On Monday, I had my first ever interview for an Assistant Principal job. The interview didn't go very well, so I wasn't surprised when the principal called yesterday to tell me the committee had chosen someone else. She told me I did great during the interview, but she didn't think it was the right fit, meaning, "I don't have enough experience in Title I/ESL schools". I have some other applications out, so I will be more prepared for the next interview, but I'm starting to get concerned about next year. There are not many AP positions out there...

So I'm taking Friday off for a little R&R, and to regroup for a better week, next week. We only have 10 days of school left, and several of them are field trip days, so things should be looking up. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to about your Terra. I know it is difficult during this time of year. I am confident that you'll find the right admin opportunity.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Bug, I'm so sorry about Terra but at least she's out of pain now. I'm glad she had all her peeps with her in passing, she was lucky to have you guys.

I'm sure you'll get a Principal job when the time is right, so hang in there.

Only 9 days of school left now AND you got to have lunch with us - thins really are looking up.